Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blessed.

Today I was invited to lunch by one of my assistants who has become a very close friend. We haven't seen each other since I've been on break and I missed her so much. Everytime I am with her it's like she is an angel sent to help me. She just always knows exactly what to say and do, either to pull me out of a slump or send me in the right direction. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

She divorced from her husband several years ago and although is now remarried to a wonderful man, has been in my shoes and knows exactly what I am going through right now. She reassures me that I am doing the healthy thing by exploring all my feelings and taking my time with decisions. She opens my eyes to truths in ways I had never thought of before. She listens to me with the understanding that only someone else who has been there can.

She brought my Christmas present with her today. It's weird because I truly do think she is an angel. Every prayer I've sent up seems to come back with an answer through her. Over Christmas one of the things that made me very sad was that I had no one to get me that special, thoughtful gift. Don't get me wrong. I loved everything from all of my family and my kids did make me Build A Bears :) , but it was sad to me that I didn't have that one very special gift, the one you get from your signifigant other that was bought with YOU in mind. I tried not to think about it too much.

Also, over the last few weeks, I have been on the hunt for some sort of book about divorce and separation. I had no idea what in the world that would be but I knew that after several nights squatting in the self help section for hours at Barnes and Noble, I could not find one. I bought a couple of books but neither were "it".

So in walks my friend today with a late Christmas gift, and it is not only extremely thoughtful (she filled it with my favorite drink in the world, Izze...that only someone who really knew me would know that) but on top of the Izze was The Book. Like I said, I had no idea that a book like this even existed. But it is Happily Ever After written by Lance Armstrong's ex-wife. It is an uplifting, daily devotional written from the experience and perspective of someone who has been in my shoes and come out on the other side a stronger person. Within reading the first three paragraphs, I knew it was exactly what I had been looking for and exactly what I needed. I can't wait to dig into it.

So although I am not an extremely religious person, I have to believe that God not only exists but put my friend in my life for a reason. Not just her, but all my friends. Each has been a separate support for me and without them I would not make it through this. There are friends who make me laugh when I need it, friends who make me go to yoga, friends who make sure I don't eat out alone, friends who distract me from my life, friends who just listen, friends who indulge my awful taste in music because they know it makes me feel better, friends who organize my life, friends who offer their spare bedrooms just so I can get away, and friends who know what I need even when I don't. But never has it been more evident to me than today, just how important my friends are.

I know you guys are all reading this now and please know that every single one of you have been instrumental in keeping me getting up out of bed each morning, each in your own way. I really feel so blessed. When I think back to all the wrong that has been done to me and I get angry at God for allowing it to happen, I am starting to feel like maybe this makes up a little for it. I may have lost my husband, but look at all the friends who have stepped up and shown me what true friendship really is...I am humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment